Seddons Law LLP (CRN 0C425715)
5 Portman Square
Registered office: As above
- "Seddons" meaning Seddons Law LLP (‘we’, ‘our’ or ‘us’) is a limited liability partnership (LLP), incorporated in England and Wales, practising the law of England and Wales, and authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (‘SRA’).
- The Law Society of England and Wales is the designated professional body for the purposes of the Financial Services and Market Act 2000 (‘FSMA 2000’) but responsibility for regulation and complaints handling rests with the SRA and Legal Ombudsman respectively.
- We use the term Partner to refer to a Member of Seddons Law LLP, or to an employee or consultant with equivalent status.
Information materials and opinions contained on this site are for general information purposes only, are not intended to constitute legal or other professional advice, and should not be relied on or treated as a substitute for specific advice relevant to particular circumstances. We accept no responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on information or materials published on this site. If you wish to find out more about the information in the materials published, please contact us. We accept no responsibility for the content of any external internet sites linked this site.
If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the legal services we provide or charges we make for our work, you should try to settle your issue with the fee earner handling your matter or his or her immediate line manager.
If you cannot resolve matters direct with the person handling your matter, we have a separate Complaints Procedure you may use which meets the requirements of the SRA. You may contact our Complaints Partner, Leon Golstein, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 020 7725 8086. He will supply a copy of our Complaints Procedure, undertake a formal investigation within a reasonable period without any charge to you, and issue a determination by which the firm is bound. Mr Golstein’s deputy and alternate is Rebecca Arnold, email@example.com.
A client who is not satisfied with our handling of a complaint may be entitled to ask the Legal Ombudsman to consider the issue. Complaints to the Ombudsman are usually required to be made within six months of the date of the conclusion of our complaints process. The Ombudsman may be contacted by post at PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ, buy phone on 0300 555 0333 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (the website is at www.legalombudsman.org.uk).
A client may also be entitled to apply for an assessment of our bills under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. The Ombudsman may not consider a complaint about a bill if a client has applied to the court for assessment of that bill.
The Solicitors Regulation Authority has a separate complaints procedure and investigates allegations that a solicitor has breached the SRA Principles https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/who-we-are/sra-regulate/#principles. Details of how to complain to the SRA and a Report Form you may wish to use can be found here: https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor/.
We are not authorised under the FSMA 2000 but we are able in certain circumstances to offer a limited investment services to clients for which purpose we are regulated by the SRA. We can only provide these investment services if they are an incidental part of the professional services we have been engaged to provide. Nothing we do should be construed as an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activities, nor as advice on the commercial or investment merits of particular investments.
Interest on money held for clients
As part of carrying out your instructions to us, we may need to hold your money in our client account. In holding client money, we have an obligation to pay interest on that money at a fair and reasonable rate and are required to put in place an interest policy; this policy sets out the guidelines for when interest will be paid and is summarised below.
We aim to account to you for interest at a reasonable rate of interest, but as the holding of your funds is incidental to the carrying out of your legal instructions, the rate is unlikely to be as high as the rate you may be able to obtain when depositing the money we hold on your behalf yourself. We must ensure that money held on client account is immediately available and therefore we require an instant access account that allows us to make an immediate withdrawal. This is taken into consideration when we set our interest rate.
We align our interest rates paid on monies held on general client account to the rates paid on an instant access business deposit account by Barclays Bank. This rate is likely to change from time to time. If we are going to hold your funds for a significant period you may ask us to place them in a separate designated deposit account or on a term deposit. In such cases, the rate of interest will be in accordance with the bank’s published banking rates and we will account to you for all interest actually earned on the account.
Where your money is held on our general client account, or in a separate designated deposit account, any interest paid to you is paid without any deduction for income tax. As such it is your responsibility to inform HM Revenue & Customs of amounts of interest received from us, and the implications of this will depend upon your own financial circumstances.
Interest will be calculated from the time the funds become cleared for interest purposes. On cheques or banker’s drafts, this will be 3 days after the cheque or draft has been deposited with our bank. For amounts received by debit or credit card, interest will start to accrue from the date of the actual receipt, usually, 3 days after the transaction has been authorised. For direct transfers or same-day payments, the funds become cleared on the day after receipt. Interest will be calculated on a daily basis and calculated on amounts held overnight from the day the funds become cleared for interest purposes.
Interest will not be paid if the total amount calculated for the period that cleared funds are held is less than £30. We also reserve the right to charge negative interest if the Bank of England base rate were to fall below 0.01%. We would absorb any cost less than £30, however, any charge above this would be re-charged onto you.
Interest will be calculated on a quarterly basis and we will credit the client ledger at that date.
We are subject to the UK Bribery Act 2010 and have a zero-tolerance policy towards corruption and bribery.
- We are committed to safeguarding client privacy and this policy has been prepared to meet the requirements of the UK's Data Protection Act 1998.
- This policy sets out the basis upon which we may use any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us.
- We use your personal data to provide you with our services. We may also use that information to provide you with updates on legal developments or details of our services that may be of interest to you and to invite you to events and marketing functions. If you do not wish us to contact you in this regard, please contact us at email@example.com.
- We will only disclose personal data:
- To successors in title of our business;
- To suppliers and external agencies we engage to process data on our behalf;
- To third parties where appropriate in the course of providing our services (including but not limited to) professional indemnity insurers, insurance brokers, auditors and other professional advisors; and
- Where disclosure is required by law or any regulatory authority
- If you attend an event or marketing event organised or hosted by Seddons, we may disclose your details to others who attend or participate in the organisation of such an event.
- You have a right to access the personal data we hold about you. If you have any requests or queries concerning the personal information held please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
UK VAT registration
Our United Kingdom VAT registration number is: GB 340 2859 67.
Our SRA registration number is: 000656643