Ben is a partner in Seddons’ Corporate Department and specialises in mergers and acquisitions (M&A), joint ventures, share/equity investments in private companies, group reorganisations and general company and corporate governance advice.
Ben has worked on numerous multi-jurisdictional transactions and has assisted many clients with their overseas expansion, investments, legal due diligence and restructuring plans, often working alongside and project managing overseas lawyers. Ben is very hands on and is often viewed by clients as an extension to their in-house legal team, supporting in-house counsel with corporate transactions and specialist projects when additional trusted senior legal advice and input is necessary to get a deal over the line in an efficient and timely manner.
Ben has been a corporate transactional lawyer for over 23 years and completed transactions in most sectors including hospitality, real estate development, healthcare, education, retail and industrial / oil and gas services. Typical deal values range from £5 million to £250 million but Ben has also assisted clients on significantly larger transactions.
Before moving to Seddons, Ben spent a number of years at international law firms in Dubai. In his last role he was head of corporate for the Middle East practice of a well known international law firm, managing a team of over 20 lawyers across 8 offices in the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait. Ben is ranked for Corporate/M&A in Chambers and Partners legal directory, Global Guide 2021.
- Advising on the acquisition of a 75% interest in a chain of dental clinics in the UK for a European dental service provider
- Advising on the purchase of an online travel business headquartered in Dubai with operations in multiple jurisdictions and a deal value in excess of £125 million
- Advising buyer on the acquisition of an engineering company with subsidiaries in Norway, the UAE and Saudi Arabia
- Advising European industrial company on the purchase of an oil field services business headquartered in the UAE
- Advising private equity investor and owner managers on exit from an IT security company with operations in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar (Ben previously advised on the acquisition of this company for the PE firm a few years before)
- Advising a hospitality/leisure company on the sale of its shareholding in a UK casino
- Advising a European telco on the sale of its shares for an amount in excess of £250 million in a telecoms provider in the Middle East
- Advising on the auction sale of a fuel bunkering business operating in the UK and mainland Europe
- Advising well known luxury hotel operator on corporate joint venture relating to the development of a luxury hotel resort and branded villas in Greece
- Advising plot owner on a joint venture relating to the development of a plot of land into a mixed use development in Dubai
- Advising Middle Eastern based industrial company on acquisition of 75% interest and joint venture arrangements in respect of a distribution company operating throughout East and South Africa
- Advising on joint ventures relating to the development, operation and management of manufacturing and distribution facilities in the UAE and Saudi Arabia
- Advising Chinese investor on technology spin-out transaction within the health care sector relating to a technology developed by a leading UK university
- Advising multi-national pharmaceutical company on minority equity investments by two well known institutional investors
- Advising brand/product owners wishing to make equity investments in their overseas distributors
- Advising foreign investor in respect of proposed share investment in a UK manufacturing facility and expansion overseas
- Advising on UK elements of a global reorganisation of an online sports clothing retailer
- Advising US pharmaceutical company on Middle Eastern aspects of a global reorganisation
- Advising financial services company on UK aspects of a global reorganisation
- Advising oil and gas services company on the separation of its business into two parts in connection with a multi million dollar bank refinancing and subsequent sale of one part of the business
General Company advice
- Advising shareholders on joint venture disputes
- Advising clients on director duties, conflicts of interest and general company governance matters
- Advising on, and drafting, company law legislation
- Assisting companies with corporate aspects of share incentive schemes
- Providing strategic company law advice to management in respect of company’s wishing to improve their group structure
- 2021 - Present | Seddons, Partner