Ilan is the Head of our Corporate Department. He specializes in mergers and acquisitions and works with a wide range of clients on a variety of domestic and cross-border M&A and corporate finance transactions.
Working with entrepreneurs, private equity firms and companies across a range of industries, Ilan advises clients in corporate finance transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, public takeovers, equity capital markets and joint ventures. He also provides clients with advice on general corporate legal issues.
Ilan is recognised in Legal 500, which states that he shows “clarity of thought, great ability to elucidate very complex issues, and brilliant contract-negotiation skills.”
- Advised Aldersgate Investments on its £2.4 billion sale of 49% of Global Switch
- Advised Armour Group on its acquisition of an insurance company owned by BTG Pactual.
- Advised Armour Group on its acquisition of Mitsui Sumitomo Reinsurance.
- Advised Avnet Inc on the UK aspects of its $412.5 million acquisition of Access Distribution.
- Advised the majority shareholder of Creed on the sale of its luxury fragrance business to BlackRock.
- Advised Daiwa Capital Markets Europe on the disposal of its prime brokerage business to Canada's The Bank of Nova Scotia
- Advised the shareholders of Dalma Energy in connection with its US$2.66bn merger with KCA Deutag.
- Advised Delivery Hero on its US$589 million acquisition of Yemeksepeti.
- Advised Delivery Hero on its €150 million acquisition of Talabat.com.
- Advised Emap plc on its acquisition of a significant minority interest in Next Gen Publishing Limited, a Mumbai– based magazine publisher.
- Advised Fortis in relation to its proposed €2.15bn global asset management partnership with Ping An
- Advised the shareholders of Geidea on their SAR600m sale of a majority stake in Geidea to Gulf Capital.
- Advised Greif on its acquisition of Blagden Packaging.
- Advised IchorCoal on its A$24.5 million investment in Universal Coal.
- Advised ING Group on the US$1.66 billion auction sale of its South Korean insurance business.
- Advised JP Morgan Asset Management on its competitive bid for Edinburgh airport.
- Advised Liberty Global on a competitive tender for the acquisition of shares in an Eastern European telecommunications cable company.
- Advised Metro Bank on its acquisition of SME Invoice Finance.
- Advised Micromeritics Instrument Corporation on its acquisition of Freeman Technology
- Advised the Oman State General Reserve Fund, through a joint venture with a fund managed by The Rohatyn Group, in the US$105m acquisition of a majority interest in Nova S.A.
- Advised a private investor in connection with an investment in Twitter
- Advised Malaysia’s Berjaya group on its £43.2 million cash offer for H.R. Owen and the subsequent delisting of H.R. Owen.
- Advised Britannia Building Society on its £70 billion merger with The Co-operative Banking Group.
- Advised Cable & Wireless on the fundraising aspects (via private placing) of its £329 million cash offer for Thus Group PLC.
- Advised the Co-op Bank on its proposed merger with a target building society
- Advised IchorCoal on its A$80.9 million cash offer for Universal Coal.
- Advised JC Flowers on a proposed public offer for a listed UK plc
- Advised TUI AG on the £5.2 billion merger of Thomson with First Choice to create Tui Travel plc.
- Advised Yorkshire Building Society on its proposed merger with Norwich & Peterborough Building Society
- Advised Carlson Companies Inc. on the agreed disposal of its luxury Regent Seven Seas Cruises business to Apollo Management LP.
- Advised DouglasBay Capital on its £280.8 million purchase of a majority holding in Eddie Stobart Logistics.
- Advised KKR on its €225 million acquisition of the Cementos Balboa cement business and Papresa paper business from Spanish industrial group Grupo Alfonso Gallardo as part of a restructuring.
- Advised MxP Partners on its acquisition of Amber Taverns.
- Advised Promethean Investments on its acquisition of Sofa Brands International.
- Advised Resurgens Technology Partners in its acquisition of the business continuity management and planning software division of Sungard Availability Services, LP
- Advised an affiliate of Roark Capital Group on the acquisition of LED Hut.
- Advised a private equity firm on its investment in the COMB mobile fashion app.
- Advised ESO Capital in connection with the establishment of a real estate joint venture
- Advised BAE Systems in connection with the introduction of a new party to an existing joint venture
- Advised Maslow Capital on a real estate investment joint venture with TPG.
- Advised Maslow Capital on the extension of its real estate investment joint venture with TPG
- Advised HBOS plc on the revival of a joint venture with a company which is the official importer into the UK of certain brands of motor vehicles.
- Advised a significant listed PLC insurer on its proposed significant joint venture in Asia
- Advised Credit Russe Financial Corporation N.V., a special purpose acquisition vehicle (SPAC) in connection with the proposed listing of its shares and warrants on AIM. CRFC was intended to serve as a cash vehicle for the acquisition of controlling interests in one or more target banks in Russia
- Advised RBS and NatWest on its $3.2bn cash tender offer for certain outstanding securities
- Advised Renaissance Capital in relation to its role as lead placing agent in connection with the international private placement of ordinary shares of its client, being a privately held, international oil & gas exploration and production company operating in Nigeria
- Advised Renaissance Capital in relation to its role as placing agent in connection with the A$85m placing of shares in Sundance Resources Limited with a range of international institutional investors
- Advised UBS as global coordinator, book runner and joint lead manager in connection with the US$525 million IPO and listing of Third Point on the LSE’s main market.
GENERAL CORPORATE / OTHER
- Advised Ghana National Petroleum Company on the corporate aspects of the $550m TEMA LNG Project.
- Advised a consortium comprising Macquarie, Barclays Infrastructure Funds and Mitsubishi on its multiple investments in the transmission assets of various offshore wind farms.
- Advised Tyco on the corporate restructuring for the US$1.66 billion spin-off of its healthcare and electronics businesses.
- Produced a Skilled Person Report under s166 of FSMA for the purposes of reviewing and reporting upon the effectiveness of the board of a listed UK Plc and of the governance and decision-making structure of the UK plc.
- Conducted a review of the corporate governance structures of a significant asset management company
2020 – Present | Seddons, Partner and Head of Corporate
2014 – 2019 | King & Spalding, Partner
2007 – 2013 | Allen & Overy, Senior Associate
1999 – 2006 | ENSafrica, Associate (South Africa)
“Ilan Kotkis shows clarity of thought, great ability to elucidate very complex issues, and brilliant contract-negotiation skills.” – Legal 500