Mike is an Associate who specialises in advising our domestic and international clients on UK and international tax and succession planning. This frequently involves the drafting of wills, creating and administering trusts and advising on property trust issues to meet clients’ needs and mitigate their exposure to tax. He regularly liaises with other professionals in the UK and abroad to achieve the best result for our clients.
Mike assists executors in the administration of estates, including those with assets in various jurisdictions. He also advises clients regarding mental capacity law and has much experience in drafting Powers of Attorney and making applications to the Court of Protection.
Clients have commented that Mike provides clear advice and offers support and empathy during what can be an extremely difficult and distressing time for them. Mike is a full member of the Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and has completed the exams required to obtain his STEP Diploma in Trusts and Estates with a distinction.
- Frequently advising private individuals on the most appropriate structure for their will to provide protection and to capture the maximum amount of available tax reliefs. Providing advice concerning life time giving and the nomination of pension pots and life insurance policies to achieve the most tax efficient structure for clients.
- Assisting an executor in administering an estate which consisted of assets in multiple jurisdictions and providing advice on the deceased’s domicile at the time of their passing.
- Drafting a Deed of Variation leaving 10% of an individual’s estate to charity in order to benefit from the lower rate of 36% for inheritance tax.
- Structuring a will in such a way so as to make no reference to the intended beneficiaries of an individual’s estate to ensure the details of the beneficiaries and the amount they were to receive remained secret once the will became a public document.
- Advising an ultra-high net worth, non-domiciled family about issues concerning residency and domicile and their exposure to UK inheritance tax. Assisting in the restructuring of their UK asset base.
2018 - Present | Seddons, Associate
2016 - 2018 | Seddons, Solicitor
2014 - 2016 | Birketts, Solicitor
2011 - 2014 | Whiskers, Solicitor
2009 - 2011 | Whiskers, Trainee Solicitor