Rory is a Solicitor in our Dispute Resolution department and has particular expertise in media law and commercial litigation.
Rory has extensive experience in dealing with media law, defamation and privacy law, advising individuals who are prominent in public life, such as politicians and journalists, performing artists and professional athletes. Rory has successfully represented clients in the on-going ‘phone hacking’ litigation and currently represents TV’s ‘Money Saving Expert’ and consumer campaigner, Martin Lewis, in his ground-breaking defamation ‘scam adverts’ claim against Facebook.
Rory also advises businesses, business owners and C-Suite executives on the resolution of commercial disputes. Such clients, both international and domestic, range from tech start-ups through to AIM listed and FTSE 100 companies.
Rory’s practice means that he often appears in the High Court, in both the Chancery and Queen’s Bench Divisions.
Rory regularly appears as a media law commentator and has had articles published for Spears Magazine and PR News and appeared on TALK Radio.
Rory aims to help clients resolve disputes quickly and efficiently in a cost effective manner. If recourse to the Courts is needed, Rory has the expertise to manage the process while ensuring as little disruption as possible to a business, or his clients' personal lives.
- Media law and social media law
- Reputation management (defamation/libel, privacy/confidence, malicious falsehood and harassment)
- Data protection and security
- Protection and enforcement of IP rights
- Breach of commercial contracts
- Acting for TV’s ‘Money Saving Expert’ and consumer campaigner, Martin Lewis, in his ground-breaking claim against Facebook in relation to defamation regarding ‘scam adverts’ that feature his image without permission.
- Successfully acting for numerous private individuals against major national newspapers in ‘phone hacking’ and ‘fake sheikh’ proceedings in the High Court.
- Successfully securing an injunction to prevent publication by a national newspaper for a celebrity client in relation to breach of privacy.
- Acting for a professional athlete in successful breach of confidence proceedings in the High Court.
- Acting for an international media agency in relation to defamation and the protection of their brand image.
- Acting for an award-winning international tech company in multiple High Court proceedings in the Chancery Division and Patents Court in relation to a trans-Atlantic trade war concerning patent revocation, misleading advertising and breach of licence.
- Acting for a prominent property developer in a successful defence in the Court of Appeal in relation to the breach of a management agreement for an industrial property portfolio.
2018 - Present | Seddons, Solicitor
2011 - 2018 | Spring Law, Trainee/Solicitor
2010 - 2011 | BPP Law School, LPC
2009 - 2010 | BPP Law School, GDL
2000 - 2009 | Skadden Arps, Legal Assistant
1995 - 1998 | University of Durham, BA Honours
Recent articles by Rory
Rory successfully represented Martin Lewis in a defamation lawsuit against Facebook.Read now
Defamation and Privacy Solicitor Rory Lynch examines the impact of the government's upcoming changes to defamation and privacy claims.Read now
Solicitor Rory Lynch discusses his successful representation of the abandoned wife in Mail Online.Read now