Stuart heads up the Private Client team at Seddons and has gained a wealth of wide-ranging experience throughout his legal career. Stuart has often worked on high-profile and complex cases. His specialisms are in high-value domestic and international estates, as well as in UK tax and estate planning for both domestic clients and international clients with UK connections. He is also practised in advising on the UK tax implications of settling estate and trust disputes.
Having established a strong reputation in the private client world, Stuart is held in high regard by clients and colleagues alike. The firm’s Private Client team are commended in The Times Best Law Firms 2020, and Stuart was described as “an expert on high-value estates and tax planning”. He is ranked as a “Distinguished Individual” in the Spear’s 500 2020 Directory and his work has also been recognised in the Legal 500.
Stuart is especially known for his thorough and client-friendly approach. Due to the nature of his clients’ circumstances and requirements, Stuart regularly works with fiduciaries and overseas advisers to ensure his clients receive comprehensive and co-ordinated advice.
Stuart has written articles and commentaries for the Tax Journal and the STEP Journal, as well as contributing actively to HMRC consultations (in relation to the taxation of damages and Inheritance Tax). Furthermore, he has participated in several HMRC roundtable discussions (such as in relation to the use of Deeds of Variation and the transfer of assets abroad rules).
- Advising a Spanish-resident dual British/Cypriot national in relation to the succession of his US business and other assets spread across a range of jurisdictions
- Administering a complex multi-million-pound intestate estate including the use of a double-death Deed of Variation to maximise UK tax-efficiency and the tracing of missing beneficiaries overseas
- Advising a high-profile UK client on appropriate methods to protect his substantial entitlement from his father’s contested estate
- Conducting a forensic investigation into a £25m offshore trust in order to identify the range, nature, location and value of assets with a view to streamlining the trust and its underlying asset structure in a tax-efficient manner across a number of jurisdictions
- Advising on a complex and substantial value Jersey trust restructuring exercise for a high-profile Middle Eastern client
- Structuring a UK tax-efficient settlement agreement to resolve a complicated dispute involving the estate of a long-term UK resident non-UK domiciled individual with assets in Switzerland and the US and playing a key role in securing a substantial tax refund from HMRC for the estate under a rarely-used procedure within the UK-Swiss Tax Co-operation Agreement.
- 2018 – Present | Seddons, Partner and Head of Private Client
- 2017 – 2018 | Thrings LLP, Partner
- 2015 – 2017 | Mishcon de Reya, Managing Associate
- 2011 – 2015 | Mishcon de Reya, Solicitor/Associate
- 2009 – 2011 | Thrings LLP, Solicitor
- 2006 – 2009 | Carter Lemon Camerons, Solicitor
- 2005 – 2006 | Stafford Young Jones, Solicitor
- 2003 – 2005 | Stafford Young Jones, Trainee Solicitor
- 2002 – 2003 | Legal Practice Course
- 2001 – 2002 | Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kingston University
- 1992 – 1995 | Masters’ Degree, Queens’ College, University of Cambridge
"Stuart Crippin is approachable and extremely knowledgeable. He has a calm and reassuring approach, helping to break down often complicated matters to the lay client" - Legal 500
"Stuart Crippin’s wide-ranging knowledge and experience allows him to make sensible decisions, especially in complicated IHT and probate matters. He is well supported by Zoe Pearse, who is approachable and efficient" - Legal 500
"Stuart Crippin is a lawyer who understands complex cross-border legal situations and knows how to achieve excellent results quickly by including and collaborating with excellent law firms abroad" - Legal 500
“an expert on high-value estates and tax planning” - The Times Best Law Firms 2020
“Distinguished Individual” - Spear’s 500 2020 Directory
Recent articles by Stuart
Head of Private Client Stuart Crippin and Solicitor Natasha Southam address the issue of signing a Will during the lockdownRead now