Stuart heads up the Private Client team at Seddons and has gained a wealth of wide-ranging experience throughout his legal career. Stuart has often worked on high-profile and complex cases. His specialisms are in high-value domestic and international estates, as well as in UK tax and estate planning for both domestic clients and international clients with UK connections. He is also practised in advising on the UK tax implications of settling estate and trust disputes.
Having established a strong reputation in the private client world, Stuart is held in high regard by clients and colleagues alike. He is especially known for his thorough and client-friendly approach. Due to the nature of his clients’ circumstances and requirements, Stuart regularly works with fiduciaries and overseas advisers to ensure his clients receive comprehensive and co-ordinated advice.
Stuart has written articles and commentaries for the Tax Journal and the STEP Journal, as well as contributing actively to HMRC consultations (in relation to the taxation of damages and Inheritance Tax). Furthermore, he has participated in several HMRC roundtable discussions (such as in relation to the use of Deeds of Variation and the transfer of assets abroad rules).
- Advising a Spanish-resident dual British/Cypriot national in relation to the succession of his US business and other assets spread across a range of jurisdictions
- Administering a complex multi-million-pound intestate estate including the use of a double-death Deed of Variation to maximise UK tax-efficiency and the tracing of missing beneficiaries overseas
- Advising a high-profile UK client on appropriate methods to protect his substantial entitlement from his father’s contested estate
- Conducting a forensic investigation into a £25m offshore trust in order to identify the range, nature, location and value of assets with a view to streamlining the trust and its underlying asset structure in a tax-efficient manner across a number of jurisdictions
- Advising on a complex and substantial value Jersey trust restructuring exercise for a high-profile Middle Eastern client
- Structuring a UK tax-efficient settlement agreement to resolve a complicated dispute involving the estate of a long-term UK resident non-UK domiciled individual with assets in Switzerland and the US and playing a key role in securing a substantial tax refund from HMRC for the estate under a rarely-used procedure within the UK-Swiss Tax Co-operation Agreement.