Toby is a partner in our Family team, advising on all aspects of Family Law including relationship breakdown, financial remedies and the arrangements for children. He has practiced exclusively in Family law for over 20 years, and joined Seddons in 2015 having headed up a large team at another London firm.
He is identified within the Chambers & Partners Legal Guide as a “Leading Individual” in Family and Matrimonial law. Toby is also a skilled and experienced advocate, having represented clients in Court at all levels up to and including the Court of Appeal. He is particularly experienced in representing parents in complex cases involving the arrangements for children, many of which involve an international element.
Toby is motivated by a desire to find creative solutions to seemingly intractable disputes, and to ensure that the costs of family breakdown – both personal and financial – are never ignored by the lawyers involved.
He has been involved in a number of high-profile cases that have attracted media attention, and is at the forefront of innovations in family practice, in particular the use of private arbitration and fixed fee arrangements.
Toby is recognised in Chambers, which commends him as "a very clever and imaginative lawyer" and "insightful about reaching resolutions for clients in a cost-effective way". Toby is named a Leading Individual in Legal 500, where he is described as "intelligent" and "fights hard for his clients".
- Acted for the successful appellant Wife in the case of Vaughan v Vaughan (2010), a case that generated national press interest and was identified as one of the most significant decisions of that year.
- Acted for the appellant Wife in two Court of Appeal hearings in the case of Gohil v Gohil in 2013 and 2014, a case that against attracted national press interest and redefined the approach of the Courts to situations in which one party had lied about their finances on divorce.
- Toby has recently been involved in representing one half of a celebrity couple whose marriage breakdown attracted ongoing press interest and therefore required the highest degree of sensitivity and discretion.
- Acted for the Wife of the Chief Executive of a FTSE 100 company in resolving financial and child arrangements following divorce
- Acted for the Appellant mother in the case of Re H (a child) (2013), a case involving the approach to be taken by the Courts in situations of alleged domestic abuse. Toby acted as the advocate before the Court of Appeal in the successful leave application.
- Acted in the Supreme Court case of In the Matter of A (Children) (AP) (2013), a case that defined the complex question of habitual residence of children in international law.
"Intelligent" and "fights hard for his clients" - Legal 500
"A very clever and imaginative lawyer" and is "insightful about reaching resolutions for clients in a cost-effective way" - Chambers
"Very experienced, very able matrimonial finance lawyer" - Chambers
Recent articles by Toby
Family Partner Toby Hales discusses the potential downfalls of the government's plan for Family Law in the event of a "no deal" Brexit.Read now
Toby gives his expert opinion on the impact that the government's no-deal Brexit plans will have on family law.Read now